Nominations continue to flood in for this years’ Hyndburn Community Sports Awards. The event, which takes place at The Ballroom at Accrington Town Hall in September this year, is a celebration of local sporting achievements from athletes, coaches, volunteers, teams, clubs and schools across Hyndburn, organised by Hyndburn Leisure.
The awards are run by Hyndburn Leisure. Anne Elwood, Board Member at Hyndburn Leisure and Champion for the local awards said, “We like to make the awards great by inviting along a special guest to talk about their sporting achievements. We can now announce that this year there won’t be a special guest………………….instead there will be two! Craig Heap, Commonwealth Gold Medal Winning Gymnast and Stacey Copeland, International Footballer and Boxer!”
Not only will Craig and Stacey be speaking at the awards, they’ve also offered to visit some local school children while they are in town. For a school to be in with a chance of winning a visit with Stacey or Craig, nominate your school for Primary or Secondary School of the Year award and look out for more details on Hyndburn Leisure’s Facebook Page!
Lyndsey Sims, Chief Executive of Hyndburn Leisure said, “There’s still time to nominate someone deserving of an award. There are 11 award categories this year, and we want to showcase the best of the best in Hyndburn to go on to represent us at the Lancashire Awards. The awards are.
- Volunteer of the Year– These awards are to recognise the volunteers who have given up their free time to volunteer in sport. Sport in Britain depends on volunteers and these people help to sustain sporting opportunities for all.
- Young Achiever of the Year sponsored by Beever and Struthers– These awards are given to the most talented performers across the district, who show exceptional dedication to their sport and have the potential to perform at the highest level.
- Coach of the Year sponsored by Masterground Services– These awards are made to coaches throughout the district who have given up their time and invested their expertise, selflessly, to help those interested in sport to develop their talent and to realise its fullest potential.
- Community Club of The Year sponsored by Forbes Solicitors– These awards are given to active and well run sports clubs that have undertaken great work in running development programmes which attract and encourage new participants, particularly those from under-represented groups, and which help their members to develop their sports potential
- Community Project of the Yearsponsored by Studio – This award is given to an innovative project that has helped to regularly increase and sustain participation in sport and physical activity and provide alternative opportunities for people to get active.
- Lifetime Achievement Award– This award is for an individual (20+ years) who has shown a consistent lifetime commitment and made a major contribution to community sport.
- Primary School of The Year sponsored by Accrington Stanley Community Trust– This award is given to a Primary School that has excelled in school sport and physical activity over the last 12 months. Community links and the impact of sport has made them stand out.
- Secondary School of The YearSponsored by Accrington and Rossendale College – This award is given to a Secondary School that has excelled in school sport and physical activity over the last 12 months. Community links and the impact of sport has made them stand out.
- Service to Under-represented groups– This award is given to an individual, administrator, coach or official who has made a highly significant voluntary contribution to disability sport.
- Inspire Award (Donated by Anne Ellwood)– This is a local award award is given to an individual who has volunteered in the community to inspire others to participate in sport. For individuals not involved in a community sports club.
- Changing Lifestyle Award Sponsored by Technogym- This is a local award to celebrate those who have made big changes to their lifestyles through sport or physical activity
Nominations are open until 31st July and can be made by visiting https://www.lancashiresportsawards.co.uk/nominate/