This Italian inspired dish is sure to make your taste buds dance as the flavours melt in your mouth. You can already smell the ground coriander and chopped garlic, working effortlessly to enhance the juicy chicken breasts. We aren’t saying make this now, but… nah stuff it! Make it now!
Category – Main Meal
Serves – 4 (Serve 2 portions fresh, freeze the other 2 for later)
Prep Time – 30 minutes
Cooking Time – 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 350g (12oz) small shallots, peeled
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (about 525g/1lb 3oz trimmed weight),trimmed of fat, each cut in half or into quarters
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 225g (8oz) button mushrooms
- 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes in rich natural juice
- 150ml (¼ pint) homemade or reduced-salt chicken stock
- 150ml (¼ pint) red wine
- 1 tsp each dried thyme and dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Heat oil in a flameproof, ovenproof casserole. Add shallots, red pepper and carrots; sauté over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces; cook until sealed all over, turning occasionally. Add garlic (if using); cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in all remaining ingredients, except cornflour; bring to the boil.
- Cover; bake in oven for about 1 hour or until chicken is cooked and tender, stirring once.
- Remove from oven; return casserole to hob. Mix cornflour with a little cold water in a small bowl; stir into casserole.
- Bring to the boil, stirring; simmer for 2–3 minutes, stirring. Serve casserole with small baked potatoes, broccoli and green beans.
To freeze 2 portions, cool cooked casserole completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Cover, seal and label. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost, then reheat until piping hot (in a moderate oven or gently on the hob) before serving.
Each Portion Contains
Energy – 1286(kJ) – 306kcal – 15%
Fat – Low – 7.4g – 11%
Saturates – Low – 1.7g – 9%
Salt – 0.51g – 9%
Sugar – Low – 12.1g – 13%