A massive THANK YOU to our customers for the support you have shown us during these difficult times.
After more than four months of closure due to the pandemic, I am thrilled to say that our phased reopening plan is under way!
Yesterday, Hyndburn Leisure Centre opened its doors and welcomed back lots of loyal customers, who were impressed with the refurbishment work that has taken place during lockdown and the wide range of Covid-secure safety measures that have been introduced.
Here are a few things that our members had to say:
“Enjoyed a lovely swim this morning you guys, felt safe, thank you!”
“A huge thank you to all the staff on making the gym a safe environment for us all. Was great to be back this morning with the gang.”
“It was great to be back, centre looks amazing. I felt very safe and had a great workout. Well done to all the team.”
“It was great to be back this morning with a swim and BodyPump. Both felt really safe and as always, the staff were amazing.”
“Great work folks. Just back from back-to-back sessions in Gym 2 and 1. My body and mind come to think of it are saying a great big THANKS!”
It was also an important day for our employees, the majority of whom have been furloughed for a long period of time. Our team are committed to implementing high-quality measures to ensure our centres are safe and still provide the same welcoming, positive experience for customers. These include regular deep cleans, installing multiple sanitising stations, introducing one-way systems, spacing out equipment and adjusting class sizes to allow for social distancing.
As we prepare for a new way of living and working, our fundamental concern is to ensure that our facilities are safe for our employees and the public. Over the next few months, Hyndburn Leisure plans to reopen facilities and services as follows:
- Phase 1: Hyndburn Leisure Centre reopens to members to take part in; gym, group exercise, feel good suite and lane swimming. Operational plans and risk assessments are also in place at Wilson’s Athletics Track and the reopening of the Pavilion is imminent.
- Phase 2: Online Super Gymnastics classes commence on Monday 3rd August.
- Phase 3: Further activities and services will be re-introduced at Hyndburn Leisure Centre from 10th August. We envisage that this will include current pay as you go customers, new members & pay as you go customers, club & group bookings, additional sessions in the pool, a takeaway café service and 3G pitch bookings. The Trust is working closely with clubs & groups and some early meetings and discussions have already taken place to develop operational plans and risk assessments.
- Phase 4: The Trust is working in partnership with United Learning Trust to safely reopen the Sports Centre at Hyndburn Academy, Stourton Street, Rishton. We hope that the sports hall at the centre will be available for use from 17th August. We will also be identifying opportunities to reopen West End Community Centre and extending the range of activities available at Hyndburn Leisure Centre.
- Phase 5: Accrington Town Hall will reopen from 1st September. The venue looks forward to hosting a range of community activities, weddings and events. During lockdown, the Town Hall has introduced a new downstairs ‘Coffee Bar’ which will launch in Autumn 2020. We also hope to introduce a reduced programme of Learn to Swim and Super Gymnastics.
- Phase 6: Clayton Civic Hall and Bank Mill House are both due to undergo essential maintenance and refurbishment work which will delay their reopening. We expect them both to reopen around 1st October. We look forward to welcoming local groups back to these venues safely. We also plan to extend our Learn to Swim and Super Gymnastic classes.
- Phase 7: From 1st November we hope to have reintroduced all facilities and services. This will be subject to Public Health guidance e.g. we are currently unable to reintroduce Soft Play, Sauna and Steam Rooms and have no indication of when these activities will be able to reopen safely.
Work is currently taking place to understand the best model for reopening Mercer Hall Leisure Centre. Due to the layout of the facility and limited space on-site, social distancing is more challenging than at our other facilities. Unfortunately, during lockdown, essential maintenance requirements have also been identified, which we are addressing. We hope the facility will reopen from October but have yet to finalise what activities will be available and opening times. It is also important that we fully understand the financial impact that reopening the facility will have on the Trust.
We will continue to share updates and reopening plans for facilities and activities across our Social Media pages and on our website. In the meantime, thank you for your continued patience and support.
We can’t wait to welcome even more of our customers back in the weeks to come… See you soon!
Chief Executive Officer, Hyndburn Leisure
& Hyndburn Hub Lead